Happy New Year, health and wellness friends!
How do we keep New Year’s Resolutions? Why do we fail at achieving goals? How do we succeed at achieving goals? This is the time of year when we are looking at the year passed and making decisions and goals about our future. But many of us have problems keeping these goals or even taking a step forward.
WHY DO WE HAVE TROUBLE ACHIEVING GOALS?
There are many reasons why people fail at achieving goals or New Year’s resolutions:
- Fear of success
- Fear of failure
- Lack of accountability and responsibility
- Poor organizational skills
- Setting unspecific goals that are too broad (such as “Be healthy”).
- Setting unachievable, unrealistic goals, and not accepting limitations
- Need of support system (support groups, friends, partner)
- Bad habits of avoidance behaviors and procrastination
- Fear of competition
- Choosing a goal that is not important, so there is no motivation
- Maintaining a negative image and an inability to see the goal achieved
HOW DO WE SUCCEED AT ACHIEVING GOALS?
Here are 10 tips for achieving success with your goals:
- Set achievable goals that you have the talent and skill to complete.
- Choose goals you truly care about and are motivated to achieve
- Be specific (“eat vegetables 3 X a day” instead of “be healthy”).
- Work with a goal buddy and agree to check on eachother weekly.
- Break it down and write smaller goals on your calendar every day.
- If you don’t reach your daily or weekly goal, start over the next day
- Be willing to change your goal if you made it too difficult.
- Forgive yourself for making mistakes and allow slips with tolerance.
- Use creative imagination techniques to manifest, see, and BE it.
- Most importantly, do your homework. Look down deep inside yourself and face any emotional or mental blocks to your goal such as: fear of success, fear of failure, low self-esteem, etc. Release these blocks to the universe, seek help if needed and begin anew.
Best wishes to you in this new year from your friends at Monterey Bay Holistic Alliance.
Jean Dart, M.S. Special Education from Illinois State University, is a published author and has written hundreds of health articles as well as hosting a local television program, “Making Miracles Happen.” She is a Registered Music Therapist, Sound Therapist, and Master Level Energetic Teacher, and is the Executive Director, founder, and Health and Wellness Educator of the Monterey Bay Holistic Alliance, a 501(c)3 health education nonprofit organization. To find out more about our Health Educators, or to apply as a Monterey Bay Holistic Alliance writer or volunteer, visit our website at www.montereybayholistic.com
Disclaimer: The Monterey Bay Holistic Alliance is a charitable, independent registered nonprofit 501(c)3 organization and does not endorse any particular products or practices. We exist as an educational organization dedicated to providing free access to health education resources, products and services. Claims and statements herein are for informational purposes only and have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The statements about organizations, practitioners, methods of treatment, and products listed on this website are not meant to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This information is intended for educational purposes only. The MBHA strongly recommends that you seek out your trusted medical doctor or practitioner for diagnosis and treatment of any existing health condition.